Friday 5 May 2017

Working from home...the truth!

I thought it was about time I dispelled some 'working from home' myths as it's something I'm been met with a lot especially since working from home more frequently over the past year. 

For those of you who work from home, I'm sure you will understand where I'm coming from and for those of you who don't and see it as the easy option, please read on and I hope to change your minds. 

I divide my working life pretty much equally between being based in the office and at home. It suits our childcare arrangements with Oliver and works for my organisation too. I am extremely lucky so please don't think I'm moaning about having this opportunity as I really enjoy and am grateful to do what I do. My objection is when I get comments like 'working from home doesn't count as work', 'you're just sitting with your feet up watching TV really' and 'you don't actually work though do you?'. 

Well the answer is yes I do.

I have a desk set up at home exactly the same as I do in the office. The only difference is that I have one eye on the baby monitor when I'm at home and get made a lot less tea! 

I've often been told it takes a certain type of person to be able to manage to work from home and I can absolutely tell you that it is not easy. You have to really switch off. That bit of washing you'd like to do or hoovering that needs doing may be staring you in the face but work is the priority. 

Fortunately I'm pretty good at managing my time. So when Oliver goes to bed I make myself a cup of tea, settle down at my desk and get into work generally for 3-4 hours. I try not to have too many distractions, radio, TV, it's as much like the work environment as I can get. 
I actually find working from home really productive and I would go so far as to say it's more productive, for me, than being in the office. No quick conversations about TOWIE or the latest news story!  

<Google Image>

That said it doesn't come without it's challenges. When working from home during the day I find it particularly hard. Oliver wants my attention or the TV is on, there are lots more distractions and other things I could be doing. My husband, Simon is brilliant at making sure when I'm working he takes care of Oliver and distracts him. It's hard to explain to a toddler that Mummy is working and not to be disturbed but I hope the older he gets the more he will understand thing and appreciate that it means I actually get to spend more quality time with him as a result.  

So for those with the preconception that working from home is the easy route, think again, at least it's not for those who actually work

I'd love to hear your thoughts on working from home and how you manage it especially if you're a working parent too. 



No comments:

Post a Comment