Tuesday 5 November 2013

Running is a lonely sport

Whilst doing my daily training run this evening it struck me at just how lonely it is being out running on a winters night.


It's hard enough to get ready to run & prepare yourself for the very cold, dark weather but motivating yourself without the help of others is quite a task. I find the Nike app motivating as I have friends on there so I can make sure I keep ahead of them. Whilst running it gives you quite a lot of time to think through any dramas of the day & what's on your mind but once that is out of the way then what do you think about & how do you carry on pushing yourself? 

Music is my key to keeping sane & blocking out the cold & tiredness but even that can get a little boring at times. Plus the marathon training tells you to sometimes run without music as during a lot of races you're not allowed earphones in so good to prepare without them. 

If running during the day it's always nice to run in public places so you can see other runners but the most you get out of them is a nod of acknowledgement. Running at night, even in well lit areas, is a different ball game altogether, you're lucky if you see anyone else mad enough to be out in the cold & when you do they're definitely 'in the zone'! As evenings after work is when I do most of my training, finding ways to keep my mind occupied is hard work. 

I'd love to hear from other runners in the same position to know what you do to keep motivated during your winter training? Or if you have any suggestions to help me along my way please be in touch. I have a feeling the mental strength is just going to get tougher as the runs get longer & the weather worsens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment