Wednesday 11 February 2015

A Partners Role



During the first few months of pregnancy your partners role is crucial. It's a really scary time for parents-to-be, probably the most worrying you'll ever go through. Talking from experience now I know that there's no way I could have been strong enough to get through the past few months without the love and understanding of Simon, my partner. I've also realised it's not all about the mum.

Seeing those 2 blue lines come up on a stick can instantly change your life. As a mother you may have experienced some mild symptoms but as a father there is nothing, you have to trust that little white stick and the feelings of your partner that the little being that you helped make is growing (and fast!). 

I know from many conversations with Simon that at times he's felt really out of the loop with my pregnancy. He's often said when I'm laying awake at 3am not able to get comfortable that he wishes he could take on some of the symptoms. It's such a huge change for anyone to go through but when you're the Dad you're almost watching this all go on from another perspective. Dad's have all the same worries, is baby OK in there, is mum sleeping enough/eating well/exercising, what can I do to help, can we afford this baby. It's a minefield. 

From the stories I've read on the Baby Centre community some partners are really not supporting the mother of their child at all and this is really sad. Pregnancy is such a wonderful experience (albeit the constant nausea and tiredness are not so great!) so why wouldn't you want to share it. 

I probably share way too much with Simon, especially when I'm waking him up in the early hours for a chat because I'm bored and can't get to sleep. But it's all part of it, if I am going to be up and he wants to feel part of it all then why shouldn't I include him. 

I've relied heavily on Simon for taking on more duties around the home, something that was really tough for me to do at the beginning. I pride myself on keeping a good home, having the fridge well stocked, making his lunch and ensuring our cupboards are full of clean clothes that when I suddenly realised I was just too tired to do that and couldn't function when I got in from work or couldn't cope with the smell of his chicken for lunch, it was particularly difficult to let go and let Simon take the lead. In more recent weeks though this has been a godsend and I'm so grateful for his support.

I consider myself extremely lucky to have a partner so keen to support me during this time and I'm sure it'll continue over the next six months. Although don't talk to me about him putting the washing on.... !!

No comments:

Post a Comment