Friday 2 August 2013

A bit of history on the who!

In a previous post I mentioned that I would give some more information on the charity I am supporting Jo's Cervical Cancer Trust. 
Here it is...
Jo’s Cervical Cancer Trust (Jo’s Trust) is the only UK charity dedicated to women and their families affected by cervical cancer and cervical abnormalities. Our aim is to offer information, support, and friendship to women of all ages. We work to help women understand the importance of cervical screening and HPV vaccination to help prevent cervical cancer as well as offer our own brand of support when a woman's screening shows up with abnormalities or they are diagnosed with cancer.
Jo's Trust was established by James Maxwell following the death of his wife, Jo (aged 40), from cervical cancer in 1999. 
As you can see from Jo's aim, the charity is about far more than Cervical Cancer, you don't need to have cancer to need their advice and support.
Every year in the UK, over 3,000 women will be diagnosed with cervical cancer and nearly 1,000 women will die from the disease. Cervical cancer is the most common cancer in women aged 35 and under.
Almost all cases of cervical cancer are caused by a common virus called Human Papillomavirus (HPV), you can catch the virus as soon as you start having intimate relationships. 

Something I had never realised until recently was that for younger women who are eligible there is a HPV vaccination available which protects against 70% of all cervical cancers. If only every female was vaccinated at a young age, think of the amount of lives it could save. 

For me personally my cervical abnormalities have started with the HPV so I now wonder how different this last year could have been had I been offered or aware of the vaccine? 




I've recently received my Jo's fundraising pack and will be raising awareness in my local area. Any support you can give or awareness that you can raise really would make a difference. 

And finally, I have one message to all women - GO FOR YOUR SMEAR! 
Don't be embarrassed, Don't be scared. 
It's such a really simple procedure, over with in a few minutes & it could save your life. And it'll keep me quiet if you go! 

You can find full details about the charity at their website - http://www.jostrust.org.uk/


No comments:

Post a Comment