Tuesday 13 August 2013

Running Apps

Even since I started running I've using the Nike+ app for iPhone. I've talked a number of friends into using it too. 
It's said to be the 'most popular running app on iTunes'. You can add friends and see how you compare, even setting challenges with friends to run the further, quickest that week/month. It does get a little competitive when you're keeping tabs on who's logging the most runs and miles, but not having a running partner, it's probably the best thing to keep me motivated.  

You can record runs on the treadmill or when you're out and about via your iPhone's GPS and accelerometer which record your distance, pace, and time, these have always been extremely accurate for me. 
My favourite feature on the app is the audio feedback which lets you know a breakdown of your pace, distance, at every mile or half a mile depending on your preferences. It really helps me to stay focused & sets myself little targets. 
What I've really loved on some runs when I'm feeling particularly sluggish is the in-ear cheers you can get from your friends on Facebook when you broadcast that you've started a run. 

This app also connects to your music so this will be playing whilst you're running. Also if you have a song that gets you more motivated you can set up PowerSongs to give yourself a boost.

When your run is finished you can sync your run to the Nikeplus.com website which allows you to view your maps on a larger screen, set a new goal, and find Nike+ Top Routes in your area. 

Another app that has been recommended to me recently is Strava, I used this for the first time yesterday. I didn't find it as user friendly as Nike+ but it's certainly more in-depth and one for the serious runners. 


 


As with the Nike+ you can use Strava to track your runs with GPS, analyze your performance, join Challenges and see how you stack up against friends. 
The most accurate part of this app was viewing the map of your run, this was really clear & showed a breakdown of my pace per KM. I've not explored it fully so I'm sure it does a lot more than I've currently worked out. According to my friend you can collect heart rate data from ANT+ and Bluetooth LE sensors which would be really interesting to use. 

With both of these apps you can set personal targets and earn virtual trophies & honours. With Strava they have monthly challenges that are designed to push you further and show how you stack up against friends, locals and pros. 

The one thing I would say about the Strava app is that you have to pay for some of the features by going premium. 
 

I'm sure there are many more running apps on the market. Do you have your favourite? 

No comments:

Post a Comment